Maria and Wesley married in early September at the same church as the bride’s parents (and also where both the bride and groom received their first communion), Holy Family Church in Duxbury, Mass. A cocktail hour and reception followed at the bride’s family-owned restaurant, Blakeman’s Restaurant, on Duxbury Beach. / Images by Michelle Dunham Photography.
Says Maria, “Our style was a mixture between rustic tones and minimalistic beachy features. We really wanted to use the natural landscape of the beach as our focus as much as possible. Our 32 foot, dark colored wood, TrueNorth head table had a natural backdrop accented with beautiful wooden beach fencing and natural beach grass. To accompany our head table sat an elaborate 35 foot table garland which included eucalyptus leaves, sand colored roses and white hydrangeas. Alongside the garland sat large candle votives, the bridal bouquets as an accent and oyster shells as place cards. Throughout the entire tent, antique candlelit lanterns sat adorned with an abundance of sand and soft pink bloomed roses and hydrangeas.
Duxbury Beach is barrier beach. There are ocean views on one side and bay views on the other. Blakeman’s overlooks both waterfront properties. Our favorite viewpoint is overlooking the bay. This is where the sun sets as well as paints a picturesque view of the Powder Point Bridge. We absolutely knew that we wanted to have the tent situated with beach grass behind our head table overlooking the beautiful bay. Every single one of our guests had a front row waterfront view!
My family has owned Blakeman’s Restaurant on Duxbury Beach for the last 21 years. As a little girl, I always dreamt of having my wedding here as it means so much to me. Prior to starting dating in 2013, Wes had been a frequent visitor to Blakeman’s, as well. It did not take long after we began dating for Wes to become a very important member of the Blakeman’s Restaurant family! The two of us could not have imagined any other place to get married!
Finding my wedding dress was truly one of the most amazing experiences. Christina Malloy, the owner at Head Over Heels Bridal Boutique, made this dress shopping experience one to remember. The comfort that she brought to the dress process was so comforting! I probably tried on 5-6 dresses before knowing that I had found the one.
I really wanted a dress that complimented me, not a dress that dominated the day. I had envisioned a dress that would compliment our simplistic, rustic and beachy theme and this dress checked each of those boxes! I happily chose the Sabrina dress by the beautiful designer Theia. The sailors knot in the ruching of the dress as well as the elegant and soft straps with the pearl totally sealed the deal! I would wear this dress again and again if I could!
Our favorite special touches from the wedding included:
- The large abundance of fresh flowers from Kingston Florist. The garland that adorned the head table was truly breathtaking. Our “husband” and “wife” chairs were also garnished with stunning roses and eucalyptus. Everywhere you turned flowers were showcased. It helped to highlight our vision of the natural setting.
- Wes’s Custom Made Bar!!! A wedding present from Wes to myself was a beautiful, natural wood finished bar. Wes spent months crafting and designing this stunning wood crafted bar for our wedding. This was the first of two bars that was located right upon the entrance of the tent. It was such an elegant piece that was even more special because Wes made it by hand!
- We also loved all of our custom, watercolor signage from Wouldn’t it be Lovely. Caitlin Spaulding is the owner of the beautiful design company. I worked with Caitlin to custom build our menu signs, welcome signs, table numbers, and table menu cards. She hand painted the Blakeman’s building as well as the Powder Point Bridge to create the most stunning signage we could have ever imagined.
- Jeep Wagoneer: One of our amazing customers at Blakeman’s and long-time family friend owns a beautiful mid-1980s Navy blue Jeep Wagoneer. The family graciously allowed Wes and I to use it as our “get-away” car from the church! We took stunning photographs with the car with Duxbury Bay in the background.
- Dockside Pictures- Another one of our amazing customers lives alongside Duxbury Bay on Powder Point Road. Their home sits on a beautiful, long wooden dock. Wes and I had the privilege to take our portraits on the dock prior to taking our group pictures. This was a really special moment for us to have together!
One of our favorite memories of the day was truly seeing the full vision of our wedding come to life. We had the absolute best time building every aspect of this wedding from the ground up. From the tent company, to the caterers, cake, DJ, videographer, personal design touches, etc … every detail was one that we could have the free range to change and make decisions on. Walking into the reception tent was truly breathtaking as our guests cheered us on as we entered. All of our hard work lead up to our special day was one that we will remember forever.
Another favorite memory was our first dance. When we first started practicing neither of us were very good. We chose a very special song and worked hard taking dance lessons. To have pulled it off with views of the bay in the background was very rewarding and the pictures really captured the moment.
Advice? We just tried to keep in mind what the day was all about. If anything did not go perfectly according to plan it was okay. One piece of advice we were told was to take a private moment to step back, talk to each other, watch your guests enjoying the reception and be present in the moment of your special day.
Photography: Michelle Dunham Photography | Ceremony Venue: Holy Family Church | Reception Venue: Blakeman’s – on Duxbury Beach | Wedding Planning: Head over Heels Bridal Boutique | Florist: Kingston Florist | Wedding Gown: Head Over Heels Bridal Boutique | Groom’s Attire: Miltons | Bride’s Jewelry: Tiffanys, DeScenza Jewelers | Bride’s shoes: Lilly Pulitzer | Bridesmaids’ attire: Bill Levkoff | Wedding Stationery: Celebrations, etc. | Cake: Veronica Sweetcakes | Caterer: The Chef’s Table | Transportation: ProLimo | Hair: Nickelle Beauty Salon and Boutique | Make-up: Blush Day Spa of Hanover | Custom Signage: Wouldn’t it be Lovely | DJ/Videographer: Unique Sounds