Greek IslesAlmost a year ago, I went on a getaway to the Greek Isles with my husband and friends. We took a week-long cruise to Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos and Olympia. It was a blissful escape from reality and I definitely recommend Greece as a fabulous destination for a honeymoon. We first visited the isle of Corfu and met the cutest little cats at a monastery. See if you can spot them:
And then we docked in Santorini and all my Grecian dreams came true. The white-washed buildings with blue doors and roofs … the steep mountains dotted with vibrant colors and punctuated with glittering pools – it was all here and we were some happy campers!
CBB’s Top Tips for the Greek Isles
– Eat along the port of Mykonos and look for one of the notorious pelicans. The food is fab … and it made my day to see one of the famous pelicans along the port – he was simply magnificent! And if you read up on it, there’s a bit of a connection to Jackie O with the pelicans which is all too cool.
– Even though I really enjoyed our cruise, I kinda wished at the end that we had just flown to Santorini and stayed there for a week taking a boat to visit Mykonos and some of the other islands. Mykonos and Santorini were definitely my favorites of our cruise and I would have loved more time in both. Guess it just means we’ll have to go back!
– Don’t miss the black sand beaches in Mykonos/Santorini. We missed them and were bummed – they’re supposed to be amazing. Just rent a car or scooters and ask locals for directions.
– Do a little shopping in Santorini and Fira. I scored some really pretty pillow covers that I love and they always remind me of our trip. They also have cute jewelry in many of the boutiques.
– Eat, eat and eat some more. Some of the best food we’ve had in our lives. We should have ate more. I’m not a big fan of meat so I enjoyed stuffed peppers, hummus and vegetarian moussaka but J had some mighty fine looking gyros and octopus.
Photography by Sarah Darcy of Classic Bride blog.